Monday, February 6, 2012

Chiang Mai

(I realized I've been spelling it wrong every time I talk about it. Sorry city!)

We arrived yesterday morning in Chiang Mai, which is a few hours outside of Bangkok. I'm liking it far more than Bangkok. It's still the city of a couple million people, but it seems to have a much more relaxed pace. It's still busy, we went to the night market last night which was absolutely packed, but you can walk down a normal street here without vendors chasing you around to buy things.

Yesterday evening we went to Doi suthep, a Buddhist monastery in the hills overlooking Chiang Mai. We managed to time it right, and actually got to see the monks in their orange robes chanting. It was pretty amazing!

Today is a fairly relaxed day. I think a little walk around town for a while, then we board a boat for the start of a 2 day float down the Mekong river. Not sure when I'll have Internet access again, but I'll write when I can!

P.s. with help from auntie Nancy, my text works now! Woo!
************
Current location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Listening to: the birds outside the hotel. We're in a nice area, off the main street, so it's quiet and peaceful here.
Missing: my mattress! The beds here are rock hard, I haven't had a good nights sleep since I got here!
******

No comments:

Post a Comment